Family Affair - Key Findings
There are 248 members of the House of Representatives (105 Democrats and 143 Republicans) included in this report. Several are included for more than one category. CREW’s key findings include:
Family members working as lobbyists or in government affairs:
44 representatives have one or more family members who have been registered to lobby or employed in government affairs.
- Rep. John Mica (R-FL), has the most family members who have been registered to lobby or employed in government affairs, with five.
- Reps. Peter King (R-NY) and Jo Ann Emerson (R-MO) have three family members who have been registered to lobby or employed in government affairs.
- Reps. John Carter (R-TX), Dan Lungren (R-CA), Gregory Meeks (D-NY), Linda Sanchez (D-CA), Loretta Sanchez (D-CA), and Bill Shuster (R-PA) have two family members who have been registered to lobby or employed in government affairs.
- In total, 58 registered lobbyists or government affairs professionals are related to representatives.
Family members receiving salaries or fees:
- 82 representatives paid family members salaries or fees, with 26 of the 82 paying two or more family members.
- 117 family members were paid salaries or fees.
Top 5 representatives paying the most money in salaries or fees to family members:
- Rep. Alcee Hastings, (D-FL) paid his girlfriend $622,574.
- Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-CA) paid his wife $512,293.
- Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) paid her daughter and grandson a combined $495,650.
- Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) paid six different relatives a combined $304,599.
- Rep. Buck McKeon (R-CA) paid his wife $238,438.
- In total, representatives paid $5,575,090 in salaries or fees directly to family members.
Family businesses or employers receiving fees or contributions:
- 90 representatives paid or contributed to family businesses, employers, or associated nonprofits.
- In total, representatives paid or contributed to 118 family businesses or employers.
Top 5 representative’s payments or contributions to a family businesses or employer:
- Rep. Sue Myrick (R-NC) paid her stepdaughter’s company $408,818.
- Rep. Waters paid her daughter’s company $347,837.
- Rep. Tim Bishop (D-NY) paid his daughter’s company $250,000.
- Rep. Jesse Jackson (D-IL) paid his wife’s company $196,000.
- Rep. William Lacy Clay (D-MO) paid his sister’s company and father’s scholarship fund a combined $303,847.
- In total, representatives paid $3,148,495 to family businesses, employers, or associated nonprofits.
Reimbursements to family and self:
- Number of representatives who reimbursed family member: 69
- Number of representatives who reimbursed themselves: 110
Top 5 representatives reimbursed the most money:
- Rep. Silvestre Reyes (D-TX) was reimbursed $261,764.
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz (R-UT) was reimbursed $229,899.
- Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) was reimbursed $168,947.
- Rep. Aaron Schock (R-IL) was reimbursed $154,466.
- Rep. Jack Kingston (R-GA) was reimbursed $122,473.
Top 5 representatives reimbursing family members the most money:
- Rep. Reyes reimbursed family members $143,125.
- Rep. Paul reimbursed family members $47,421.
- Rep. Rodney Alexander (R-LA) reimbursed family members $39,253.
- Rep. Tim Walz (D-MN) reimbursed family members $29,994.
- Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-MO) reimbursed family members $25,167.
Contributions to political campaigns:
- 20 representatives made contributions to a family member’s political campaign.
Top 5 representatives making the largest contributions to family members’ political campaigns:
- Rep. Jackson contributed $164,000 to his wife’s campaign for alderman.
- Rep. Joe Baca (D-CA) contributed a combined $32,400 to three relative’s campaigns.
- Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX) contributed $11,000 to his daughter’s county district court campaign.
- Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) contributed $10,674 to his brother’s state senate campaign.
- Rep. Dan Burton (R-IN) contributed $4,500 to his brother’s state representative campaign.
- In total, representatives contributed $254,087 to relatives’ political campaigns.
Earmarks to family members:
- Number of representatives who earmarked to family members’ employers or to affiliated companies and groups:
- 38 Top five representatives who earmarked to organizations affiliated with them or their family members:
- Rep. Kay Granger (R-TX) earmarked $28,364,000 to her son’s project.
- Rep. Lewis earmarked a combined $25,512,000 to three relatives’ organizations.
- Rep. Bill Young (R-FL) earmarked a combined $16,580,400 to two son’s companies.
- Rep. John Mica (R-FL) earmarked $13,000,000 to his daughter’s client.
- Rep. Michael Simpson (R-ID) earmarked $12,498,639 to his wife’s employer.
- In total, representatives earmarked $149,763,432 to organizations affiliated with themselves and their family members.