Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA)
Arnold Schwarzenegger (R-CA) was elected governor of California in 2003 and was reelected in 2006. Under the state’s term limits law, he cannot run for reelection in 2010.
- Used non-profit and campaign funds for personal benefit
- Built cozy relationships with special interests
- Created conflicts of interest by accepting a consulting position and doing state business with a company staffed by his former campaign aides
- Provided state jobs to friends with dubious qualifications
- Forced air pollution employees who were trying to protect the environment out of office
- Vetoed bills to improve transparency in hospitals at the behest of powerful special interests