Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks a legal assistant. CREW is a nonpartisan non-profit dedicated to rooting out government corruption and fighting the influence of money in politics. The legal assistant’s primary responsibility will be to support the groundbreaking litigation work of CREW’s attorneys, which includes cases under the U.S. Constitution, the Federal Election Campaign Act, and the Freedom of Information Act, among others. Specific job duties will include:
- Preparing documents for court filing, including by cite-checking, creating tables of contents and of authorities, and formatting according to court rules;
- Creating and updating internal files for litigation and other complaints;
- Maintaining calendar of deadlines for both lawsuits and Freedom of Information Act requests;
- Coordinating meetings and conference calls with outside counsel and others; and
- Providing similar legal assistance to attorneys in non-litigation contexts, such as filing complaints and other documents with government agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- One to three years’ experience in a litigation support position, such as a legal assistant or paralegal at an advocacy organization, government agency, law firm, or other entity engaged in federal litigation;
- Strong computer skills, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel, and Outlook); and
- Basic knowledge of Westlaw or LexisNexis and legal citation formats.
HOW TO APPLY
An excellent candidate will be highly organized and detail-oriented, able to take direction and work independently with little supervision, and have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Place your name and “Legal Assistant Application” in the subject line. Please note that we can only respond to candidates we are contacting for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
CREW offers competitive pay and excellent benefits. CREW is an equal opportunity employer.