Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks a passionate and creative Press Secretary to join our creative and fast-paced communications team and help us build a better Washington. The Press Secretary position is a terrific opportunity to be on the front lines of the fight for a more ethical government, and make national news while impacting the day’s most pressing issues.
As a leading nonpartisan nonprofit government watchdog, CREW is dedicated to rooting out government corruption and fighting the influence of money in politics through legal action and communications grounded by in-depth research. As CREW continues to take bold legal action to hold the Trump administration, Congress and others accountable for conflicts of interest, ethics abuses and violations of the law, we are looking for a Press Secretary who is quick on their feet, takes initiative, and cares deeply about stopping the ethics crisis facing our government from becoming the new normal. We welcome diverse skills and experiences.
- Serve as an on the record spokesperson
- Draft and edit press releases, blog posts, op-eds and talking points
- Coordinate interviews for CREW’s executive leadership and team of nationally renowned legal, policy and ethics experts
- Build and manage targeted press lists
- Develop and pitch story ideas and CREW’s original research
- Assist the communications director in forming and executing CREW’s communications plan
A great candidate has:
- 3-8 years experience, preferably in a nonprofit, campaign or Hill position
- Minimum 1 year on the record experience
- Demonstrated experience and success with pitching media
- The ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An interest in government ethics and money in politics issues
- The ability to execute projects independently while exercising good judgement and discretion
- A great sense of humor and enthusiasm for their work
Salary is commensurate with experience. Extensive benefits package including full health, dental and vision insurance coverage as well as a generous 401(K) program you’d be included in on day one.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected] Please include your last name and “Press Secretary” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. We are only able to respond to candidates we are contacting for an interview.
CREW is an equal opportunity employer, committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.