Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) seeks a relentless, detail-oriented research associate who is eager to identify and maintain data tracking conflicts of interest, special-interest and foreign influence, and other corruption issues in government. As a nonpartisan, nonprofit government watchdog, CREW is dedicated to fighting the negative influence of money in politics and the abuse of public office for private gain through legal action and bold communications grounded by in-depth research. The ideal candidate is someone who is eager to learn how to use data, or has past experience doing so, to fight for a more ethical and accountable government.
A great candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree in public policy, political science, or related field;
- An eagerness to learn how to work with data and databases, experience with SQL is a plus, but not a requirement;
- Outstanding research and analytical skills;
- A deep interest in searching through public documents and other sources to find obscure information;
- Good instincts about what the public will find interesting;
- Strong attention to detail and organizational abilities;
- Excellent writing, editing, and fact-checking skills;
- Ability to work both as part of a team and independently;
- Must work well under pressure, adapt to changing situations, and prioritize numerous projects and tasks;
- Must be a self-starter who can recognize emerging trends and generate creative project ideas;
- Journalism experience a plus.
- Data input and cultivation: This position will involve extensive monitoring, data input, and data analysis.
- Research and Investigation: Researchers exhaustively research and investigate government corruption, including reviewing and analyzing government documents, news reports, databases, public information, and other resources.
- Synthesis: Researchers synthesize information into accurate, concisely written products, both for internal use and for publication
- Content Production: Researchers draft blog posts and reports.
- Generating Ideas: Researchers generate innovative project ideas and investigative report proposals.
- Fact-checking: Researchers fact-check blog posts, graphics, reports, and legal filings.
How to Apply
Please email a resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Please include your last name and “Research Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. We are only able to respond to candidates we are contacting for an interview. CREW is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in our workplace and in our work. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. We strongly encourage candidates from all groups and communities to apply.